Considering your wants and needs, and your budget for them, is the first step to a successful search. Knowing what you cannot live with or what you cannot live without will help immensely in your search to define all the right characters ahead of time.
Get an idea of the major features you need - Bedrooms, bathrooms, size and location. Now is the time to include other items such as appliances, laundry, parking and others as well. Keep in mind that the more features a property has, the more likely it is to cost. So, it's useful to list these items with your prioritized need for each.
- Basic Features
- Approx Size (square feet)
- Desired area/location or near by
- Monthly rent $ Up to $
- Available for occupancy (desired move in date)
- Pet friendly
- Length of lease
- How many people will occupy the premises
Once you have compiled all necessary information, you're ready to find a home that fits with your personal budget. The best rule to follow is that your total monthly income (before taxes, etc) should be around three times your monthly rent. In other words your rent should be no more than one third of your monthly income.
So now you think you found the ideal place to call home and you want to make an appointment to see it! Here are some important things to make the entire process go smoothly:
- If possible, we recommend you to drive by the property before making an appointment. This will help ensure you of the neighborhood, commute distances and other aspects in which you are looking for. We always do our best to provide the most important features of the property, location, and area. If something about the property doesn't work for you, you won't need to make an appointment and you've saved yourself some time!
- Call the number listed on the flyer, sign, ad, etc. or our office to arrange an appointment. When you do so, please have the property address and city available at hand so we may make the appropriate arrangements as we have about a hundred properties.
- We can usually show a property within 24 hours of your request or at a time that is most convenient for you.
- If by any reason you cannot make a scheduled appointment or have to reschedule, please give us the courtesy of contacting our office or the agent showing you as soon as possible. We understand that things come about. Time and gas is very precious to all of us, so it is better to change plans ahead of time when possible.
A Few Extra Tips..
Prepare your information
The best way to win over a prospective property owner and quickly execute a lease agreement is to be prepared. To get a competitive edge over other applicants, have available the following when you meet the property owner or leasing agent: a completed rental application; written references from landlords, employers, and colleagues; and a current copy of your credit report is also advisable however, many property management firms require that the report is completed at their agency.
Review the lease
Carefully review all of the conditions of the tenancy before you sign on the dotted line. Your lease or rental agreement may contain a provision that you find unacceptable -- for example, restrictions on guests, pets, design alterations, or running a home business. For help reviewing your lease or rental agreement, seek legal advice and or the assistance of your leasing professional.
Get everything in writing
To avoid disputes or misunderstandings with your property owner, get everything in writing. Keep copies of any correspondence and follow up an oral agreement with a letter, spelling out your understandings. For example, if you ask your property owner to make repairs, put your request in writing and keep a copy for yourself. If the owner agrees orally, send a letter confirming this.
Point to remember! You do not pay us a dime! We collect our fees directly from property owners. If you are interested in having a leasing specialist help assist in your search for a rental property, please feel free to contact us and we will connect you with the agent who bests fits your needs.
888-876-0435 or Leasing@HomeRentalSystems.com